Literacy Tips

Summer Reading

June 22, 2012 by  · 2 Comments · Uncategorized ·Edit

Parents often ask us for Summer Reading suggestions.  I will add my “favourite“  Grade One “read to self” and read aloud books, below.  Please consider visiting the Public Library, sign up to represent our school, joining the Summer Reading Club.  As well, the Library has a wonderful literacy program for children.  Drop by and watch a puppet show or participate in some Reader’s Theater! Encourage your children to read and “log” their books onto a special sheet provided by the library.  At the end of the summer, the children can attend a medal ceremony that “celebrates” their reading achievements!  The children are proud to wear their reading medalsback to school to show teachers and friends! This is a wonderful opportunity to promote and encourage summer reading and further develop literacy!  Sign out some of the titles listed below, find a favourite reading spot, snuggle up, practice, and enjoy reading together!

Mrs. Nielsen’s Recommended Summer Reading for Emerging Readers

Mercy Watson Goes for a Ride by Kate DiCamillo

Mr. Watson’s Saturday drive in his Cadillac turns into an adventure when an unexpected guest appears in the back seat, and when Mercy takes the wheel.

*Kate DiCamillo has a series of “Mercy” books that are sure to delight young readers!

Frog and Toad Are Friends– Arnold Lobel… children “love” this pair
Piggy and Elephant series… anything by Mo Willems is guaranteed to bring on fits of laughter and promote early reading success and pride!
The Cat in the Hat – Dr. Seuss…classic Cat
Waiting For Wings – Lois Ehlert…simple, creative, evocative
Feathers For Lunch – Lois Ehlert
Ralph – Lois Ehlert…  A Mrs. Brancati recommendation.  You will laugh if you have a dog; parents, too!
My Garden – Kevin Henkes…How does your garden grow…? Truly, a beautiful, evocative, read aloud!
Brown Bear, Brown Bear– Bill Martin Jr./ Eric Carle
Polar Bear, Polar Bear – Bill Martin Jr./ Eric Carle- Children “love” reading books that promote a familiar pattern.
Good night Moon – Margaret Wise Brown…my daughter’s favourite as a child; anything to avoid the inevitable sleep time!
Reading Rockets video clip of  an interview with Lois Ehlert!

Tags: ··

Visit the chapters.ca site to view Early Reader recommendations for children ages 6-8-

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/kids/early-readers/

I found this transcript of an interview with the beloved children’s author, Tomie dePaulo– “Put the Kid on Your Lap-” Reading Rockets site!  This article sums up the “connection” that bonds you and your child when you snuggle up in a quiet, calm spot and read aloud together.  There is nothing better than spending precious time with one another.

Put the kid on your lap

You know, when parents read books to their children, I think the best interaction is to put the kid on your lap and have some physical contact. And it’s easier to read that way. That’s how Mom did it. I was in her lap and she had the book open. I could look at the pictures.

I love it when children say to their parents, “No, no. No, no. You’re going too fast!” You know the poor parent has read the book for 400 times. “No, no. You left out two words. I want the whole book.”

What I find really fascinating, because I’ve seen it over and over again in my experiences – especially in daycare or preschools – is that when the teacher reads the book to the little class, they have to go through it slower, because the children are devouring the pictures. And grownups tend to read only the words and then turn the page, where the children hear the words, but they want to see what’s going on in all of those illustrations.

I think it’s such a simple thing. Put a kid in your lap. I have wonderful home movies. I’m about three, maybe even two – a little, chubby kid. And there’s my big grandfather, looking like a mountain. And I’m sitting on his knee, and he’s got the funny papers in front. And I know exactly what he was reading. He was reading “The Katzenjammer Kids” to me, because that was my favorite. He used to do it with accents. So, I come by this, you know, through my genetic makeup.

But I look at that image, and I think, “Gee, you know, that is such a beautiful image” – of this little baby sitting on this big man’s lap, looking at the paper with this little, goofy smile on his face. And the grandfather is with the glasses and I’m reading, and you can tell he’s imitating.

So that’s the interaction I would want to see. I don’t think it works if a parent’s going to read a story to a child, and you say, “Okay. You sit over there, and I’m going to sit here and read you the story.” There has to be physical contact. There really does.

To read more of Tomie dePaulo’s wise words, link to this site-

http://www.readingrockets.org/books/interviews/depaola/transcript/

Back to School Literacy Tips